Today I thought I would do something a little different. Instead of the regular facts about me I thought I would share bookish facts about myself. Twenty five things about books and myself that will help you get to know me a little better. So, sit back and get ready to learn things that you most likely didn’t know about me already. If you did, it’s because you know me personally and I expect you to comment cause it’s important. Especially since I know you’re gonna have about a million other things to add like how I don’t pay attention when you call me on the phone if I am reading. Also how you tell m to put the book down instead of hello which by the way, is irritating but you already know that since it’s my response.
1. I started reading romance books in high school. In middle school I was all about The Babysitter’s Club and Sweet Valley High. I discovered Harlequin Romance my freshman year one Saturday at the library and the rest as could say is history. Although I do read other books as well, romance is my favorite.
2. MY FAVORITE AUTHOR OF ALL IS A HUGE LIST THAT ONE TAKE ME FOREVER TO LIST. I’m not one of those readers who has a single favorite author. Although most of you already know how much I love Lani Lynn Vale. Others on my list include: Abbie Zanders, Celia Kyle, Willow Winters, Lexi Blake, Emily Minton, and so many more.
3. I didn’t read the Twilight series until after I saw the last movie on cable. I wanted to know what happened and instead of watching the movies I read the books. Much to my sister’s ire. She loved those books and is all about team Edward.
4. She also is super upset that I didn’t read the Fifty Shades books until after the movies and to be honest…..I didn’t like them either. Sorry but I have read others that I just liked so much more. Not to peeve anyone off but Christian Grey just didn’t do it for me.
5. I’m in love with Kindle Unlimited. It’s the truth, this program has allowed me to experience all sorts of new authors that I may not have taken a chance on.
6. I have no problem reading ménage. I will read pretty much any sub genre of romance book there is. For non-romance books, I have to really want to read it or be a fan of the author. They don’t have to be mainstream either.
7. I often read an entire book in one day. Depending on what is going on and I’m one of those people that read while they go potty. On a typical day I read two or three books. Although put me in a room without distractions and I could read the entire day without stop.
8. I have a problem with certain names in books. It’s true but it is mostly when the guy’s name is one of my brothers or someone close to me like that. I have a real hard time reading the sex scenes with one of my brother’s names being called out. My sister’s name is just as bad! So I will skip the name while reading. It is something my brain just does without me even thinking about. After all having your brother’s name or sister’s name in a menage is just plain weird. Those characters, regardless of how they are described will always look like your sibling to you.
7. I didn’t grow up reading Harry Potter. I grew up on Narnia and then later The Lord of the Rings. I have read all of the Harry Potter books and enjoyed them. I’m just a little too old to have grown up reading them. I enjoy the movie for those as well.
8. My childhood was just as magical without Harry Potter. There were far too many other worlds and places to visit. After all I discovered The Iliad when I was in the fourth grade while visiting an aunt. The magic and wonder of far off places and heroes exploded within me after that.
9. I set a book goal every year. This is something I started doing when I joined Goodreads. This year’s goal is 300 books. I’m ahead in the number of books I need to read each week so far.
10. I have no idea how many books I have read in my lifetime thus far. I have read more than two thousand in the last few years. I read way more than I watch television so that number could easily be in the millions by now. After all I am in my mid forties.
11. I was quoted on the back of a book once. That’s right, way back when I first began blogging i had another book blog and ended up being quotes. That’s me up there in the picture as Rita’s Book Blog. I got a signed copy of the book and all. It was very exciting for me.
12. I love writing book reviews! I enjoy that I bringing my thoughts to y’all. That you may discover a new author or book based on something I have written.
13. I love when people ask me for book recommendation. I do! I love that other people think I know enough about books to ask. I have a friend who always asks me what I’m reading at the moment and if she should give it a try. The fact that she truest me with giving her recommendations makes me super happy.
14. I judge books by their covers! Come on, we all are guilty of this. A cover will grab my attention and make me want to know more about it. I have read books in the past because I knew the model on the front or was a fan of the model. Yep! It happens from time to time.
15. When I go to the beach I always take an Agatha Christie book with me. She is beach reading author. I have no idea why but I do. Miss Marple and Poirot are my two favorite characters to get lost in. I have a couple of her radio shows on audio that we listen to when the power goes out.
16. I’ve dropped a book in the bathtub once. It was bad! I cried the entire time I was drying it out with the hair dryer. I no longer take books into the tub with me. Ever!
17. I hate when people turn down the corners of books or write in them. It makes me so angry! In fact, once when my nephew did both of those things my brother told him “Oh! You are in so much trouble. Aunt Rita is gonna be so mad.” He got the lectured on why we take care of and love our books.
18. I’m really shy in-real-life and am a bit socially awkward. I’m the chick that always has a book and is reading. Books make more sense to me and I get lost in them. Although, am do attempt to get better at being social. I’m awkward enough that I have sat the entire evening in a corner and no one really even remember that I was at the event.
19. I enjoy Audiobooks. I listen to them from time to time. I don’t listen to more because those babies are expensive. One or two of them from time to time is all that fits into my budget.
20. I took all of the children in my life on their first trip to the library and the book store! I did! With every single one, we walked into library and I told them “This is the happiest place on Earth! Here you can travel to unknown places and be anyone you want to be.” The bookstore is rather difficult with them all sometimes. Ten full bags and an overworked credit card is usually the result. Have you ever tried to carry ten bags of books. I’m talking those reusable bags too! Of course one bag (okay two) are mine. We don’t make a lot of trips to the bookstore. The library gives us a limit which works well for us.
21. I give books as Christmas gifts. Again, every child I buy gifts for always get at least one book. My entire Sunday school class gets a new book every year. If I know about a genre or author that someone enjoys I will get them those books. I can’t help it I want to spread my love of reading.
22. Genres I won’t read no matter what…..um….um… I’m thinking! I’m not a huge fan of horror (I like Stephen King though) or gore. So I will decline reading one that has a lot of that but I’m pretty open to most things.
23. Romance and all of it’s sub-genres is my favorite to read. That’s true. I love romance more than anything. There is just so much hope in someone getting their happily ever after.
24. I read Outlander long before it was a television show. I did! I was a fan of Outlander way back when it first hit the shelves. I enjoy the show but the books will always be a set of my favorites.
25. As much as I love books I don’t have a million copies. I will buy books and I always save those that were gifted to me from authors, signed copies, or my favorites. Other than that I tend to give my books away after I read them. My sister and sister in-laws along with some nieces all share the books we buy and read between us. When we have a pile we give them to the next person on the list. When they are done with them they pass them to the next person. When we have all read them then we donate them to various places. I f I kept all of the books I ever read I wouldn’t have anywhere to sleep. Although my kindle and nook are super full. We won’t talk about that.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links, especially Amazon. This means I may earn a commission should you chose to purchase a book or product using my link.