After the Plague Books 1-3 by Imogen Keeper
Genres: Post Apocalyptic, Dark Romance, Sci-Fi
99% of the population dies due to a strange unnatural virus, leaving 1% grieving, scared, desperate, capable of anything, plunged into a world without laws, and no one to enforce them anyway.
Frankie has zero skills to survive, but when she loses the love of her life, she discovers an untapped well of hope and courage inside herself – to find the others, the left-behind survivors who must now rebuild in the face of gathering clans, rising dictators, and everpresent danger.
When Yorke, a lone soldier, who never wanted a family, finds Frankie, he has a single burning conviction: if anyone will make the rules in this strange new lawless world, it will be them.
Before the apocalypse they were strangers. Now their lives will forever be entwined.
This special edition set includes the first three volumes in one sexy, seductive, breathtaking story that blends romance, adventure, and hope into an unforgettable read. Fans of Laura Thalassa and Diana Gabaldon will love this Romantic saga.
Buy the Book
Add to Goodreads
I received this book for free in exchange for an honest review. All opinions expressed are my own. I receive no compensation for reviews.
This was such an amazing story! It is set in the future and deals with a pandemic. One in which there is only 1% of the population left. We meet Frankie who is heartbroken over losing her husband to the pandemic. We also meet Yorke, a US army member sent home from Germany so he can die on his home soil. He is trying to find his brother who was homeless and a drug addict.
We watch as Yorke reaches the end of his rope. He’s drunk on a rooftop ready to end it all when he hears a woman’s cry. Realizing he is not as alone as he thinks he is determined to find her.
This book gives us hope and strength in the face of the unimaginable. Now that we have experienced a pandemic this story doesn’t feel so much like a fantasy but one that could easily happen. Frankie is the hope in this book. Not the hope of grand things but simply the hope of a woman looking forward and surviving the way she promised her husband. She is full of grief and it isn’t until she finds an orphaned young boy and his dog that she finds a purpose.
While Yorke is the strength. he went from house to house helping people in their final hours while searching for his brother. He has been trained to set feelings aside, to be hard and unyielding. Yet it is his choice to help those in need. To search for Frankie after hearing her cry out.
Yorke and Frankie come together in the best possible way. First as a new little cobbled family trying to survive in a new world together. Their feelings begin to come more to the surface as Frankie works through her grief. I love that the author didn’t have them jump into bed together. Honoring Frankie’s grief that way made me love the book even more.
This book was devastating and as I said felt more real because of the pandemic we just went through. It brought home just how lucky we were and what a future one could cost us all. It is a wonderful story of devastation and hope that I highly recommend.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links, especially Amazon. This means I may earn a commission should you chose to purchase a book or product using my link.
Audrey Stewart says
Imogen Keeper is a new author to me but I want to thank this blog for the introduction. I look forward to reading this book and the book series ‘After the Plague’.
I’;ve enjoyed some post apoc books recently, but a virus is maybe a little too close to home for a bit
Jonathan W says
Sounds very real and maybe hard to read considering the subject matter, but probably very good.
Really nice cover and excerpt, looking forward to reading this!
Eva Millien says
After the Plague sounds like an interesting and thrilling read, thanks for sharing your review with me and have an awesome weekend!
This book sounds like a real page turner and one that will keep me up at night reading more.
Bea LaRocca says
Thank you for sharing your awesome review of After the Plague, this is definitely a must read for me and I am looking forward to it
I think I can handle a dark apocalyptic read now. Thanks for the recommendation.
Eva Millien says
Author Suggestions ~ Darynda Jones
Backlist Book ~ Darkness Dawns – Dianne Duvall
Nova S says
it can be hard to get apocalypse stories right, but this sounds great
Derek T says
Hopeful post-apocalyptic is a rare genre…
Aline Azevedo says
I think we’re starting to feel ok about reading post-apocalyptic again. This book sounds like a super dense and emotional read!
Thanks for the review!
Dreaa Drake says
This sounds like a great book! I absolutely love this cover!
Sounds like an amazing read! definitely will be on my list!
Might be intense for me these days, but I appreciate the review!
Maria Malaveci says
not my typical read, but sounds super exciting!